Spidey

Well, that was quite a month. Let’s pretend it never happened, and it hasn’t been over a month since I’ve written/answered email/looked on rav/sat down for more than 5 minutes, okay? I’ll just say “Happy new year!” and we’ll move on?

Of course I have my usual complement of exciting things going on behind the scenes here, and stuff to tell you about the book and how it will affect the web pages on the same topic, a very exciting series I’m hoping to start one week from today, and resolutions that I’ve made for 2013, and the class I’m filming REALLY SOON NOW OMG with the amazing folks at Craftsy, and yadda yadda yadda.

But I’m not going to do any of that today. Today, I want to start the new year off right by showing you one of the things I made while I’ve been away. Just for Jacob. Just because he wanted me to. With no deadline, tech editing, or any of the usual hoopla associated with me designing and knitting a sweater.

spidey-1

“I want a sweater with a spider on it,” he said. “Not like a cutesy spider. A tough spider.” Am I, a former goth, really going to argue with that? I am NOT.

spidey-4

The spider is from Barbara Walker’s Charted Treasury, the sweater is based on a store-bought that he wears all the time. I flipped her chart upside down and added a “web” line of twisted stitches, and continued the reverse stockinette panel over the shoulder and onto the back.

I used cotton fleece, because he runs hot like a furnace and it’s hardly ever cold enough for him to wear the alpaca stuff I make. In red, which we all know is the most bad-ass color around.

spidey-6 spidey-5 spidey-3 spidey-7

He pronounced it “super cool” and took exception with a line he read later that day in a “Big Nate” book about knitting clubs and the horrible sweaters they produce: “I think this author never knew a real knitter, Mom, because your sweaters always fit really well and look better than clothes from a store.”

Stronger praise, there never was.

Comments

1. says

I saw this on Ravelry yesterday and I’m basically dying. I really hope one of my children will ask me to make them one.

2. says

Love, love, love the young man, who knoweth of what he speaks. Having just finished a pair of socks for my Darling Girl, I believe we are walking in parallel tracks. HNY!

3. says

The sweater and story are both dynamite! But Young Jacob’s comment is really something to remember. If you ever think you are having a bad knitting day, you just go back to this post!

4. sarah says

ummm…are you going to be publishing a pattern for it?? pretty please with a radioactive spider bite on top??

5. Knitapeace says

THAT is just super cool and HE is just the cutest little munchkin…er, super coolest tough dude I ever saw!

6. Whitney says

Your son may just be one of the smartest and most handsome boys on the planet. And not because he just paid knitters everywhere, especially his very own knitter, the best complement. Nope. No bias here:)

7. Wendy W says

Agreed. Best mom ever. Also, really awesome sweater. I remember those goth days. :) I think I might have some pictures of them as well.

8. ac pool says

What a great sweater. You may have a budding designer on your hands. Thanks for making me smile.

9. says

OMG I love this! I have kind of a thing for spiders… I might have to make one of these for myself. I have that same BW charted treasury but for some reason I never thought of putting that on a sweater.

10. Stacy Laughlin says

Sweater and J’s comment are both perfect. He deserves you as a Mom. And why, yes, I do remember your Goth days. :) And that you had your bridesmaids wear black to your wedding. ;)

11. Dana says

The sweater is adorable (so is the son, by the way). I only wish my sons would like wearing anything like it, as to now they still detest spiders heartily.
    Happy new year!
    Dana.

12. says

Awesome! What spinner doesn’t love a spider?! And such a smart and handsome young man. My 14 yo son is hounding me to knit him more socks – life is sweet when your kids get you and love what you do.

13. Linda Day says

Will you be publishing this pattern? I know several smallish boys that would love this sweater.