Anticipating Fall

What’s that, you say? It’s 90F where you are? You’re at the beach? You’re still languishing in hot summer nights, ice cubes clinking in your glass, a crisp schedule blown to the winds?

(Unless you’re in the Southern Hemisphere, in which case, you’re thinking “Are you crazy? Bring on the WOOL!”)

Well, most of those are true here too, come to think about it. It’s warm. It’s sunny. The boys and I are chasing each other around, scratching bug bites, stuffing our faces with fresh strawberries, and running outside in the rain. “Bedtime” is more of a loose idea than a strictly-enforced routine here during the summer. And yet…

…and yet…

…my dreams are with fall.

yay-fall-1

Is there a better time to be a sweater designer? I don’t think so, and like every year I have a pipeline stuffed full of rich colors, deep textures, fabrics and knits that make you want to curl up in front of a fire with a steaming cuppa.

yay-fall-3

(Bijou Basin Bijou Spun Sport.)

Or knits that make you want to slip into your favorite hiking boots, grab your camera, and head off into the woods.

yay-fall-4

(Harrisville Highland.)

Knits that make you want to toss them on over your favorite dress and take one last walk along the shore, eat one last dinner in that fabulous place you visit every year. (Even if that place is only in your mind.)

yay-fall-5

(Indigodragonfly’s incomparable Merino Silk Sock.)

Fall is the time for sweaters that make you want to pull them on over your favorite jeans,

yay-fall-8

dress them up with a scarf and a kick-ass-and-take-names skirt and some fabulous tights,

yay-fall-7

wear them snuggling up with your morning coffee, and out walking down a country road under a patchwork of gold and red and orange, and scarfing down hot-from-the-fat cider donuts while you’re choosing your Halloween pumpkins.

yay-fall-10

(…I’d better get knitting.)

Comments

1. Heidi Smith says

Yep I have been thinking about it too. I have been hard at work redesigning my craft room so I can see my stash lol. Time to make plans to make a dent in it.

2. SarahG says

This makes me long for the east coast falls of my childhood! I miss the seasons out here in California. Beautiful writing! Thank you

3. says

Ohhhh please Fall come!!!!! They look amazing!! I envy your perfect and regular stitches as well. Xoxo from sunny and warm Italy

4. says

I do feel the same way, but it’s been so hot I’ve barely been able to bring myself to touch wool in weeks!

5. Evi says

Be still my heart. The item made out of Harrisville Highland has my full attention. There are nose prints on my monitor. Absolutely gorgeous!! Is it a cardigan?

• Modeste says

Can’t wait for that one! Isn’t it time to start autumn knitting in a bit? Not now, currently it is hot here in Germany, but that is scheduled to end around the 10th, wouldn’t that be a perfect pattern release date?

6. says

Yes! Yes! I have never lived anywhere cold enough that a daily sweater is needed. This year I get to choose where to spend my winter months and locations that necessitate wooly handknit sweater goodness are at the top of my list ;)

7. says

Ugh. I have one last cotton cardi that is languishing on the needles. I’m forcing myself to knit it, but I’m losing interest fast! Sooooo many beautiful fall knits and colors and yarns are calling me! And you’re not helping! Juust kidding.

8. Kathryn says

These photos intrigue me! I hope that there are pattern releases planned, particularly for the purple sweater!

9. kdwisni says

What’s the turquoise swatch? Will you have some pullovers for us pear-shaped peeps?

10. amy says

Oooh. Yes, fall is the best time to be a knitter. That golden Harrisville yarn tease is calling my name. Also, I’m reading your book and l.o.v.i.n.g. it. My fingers are twitchy to start a new cardigan for myself, making alterations I learned from reading your book. This one is going to fit! You’re like a gift from the knitting gods — truly. Thank you!

11. Rochelle says

So love those colours for fall Amy. There are so many beautiful yarns calling me. It’s hard to choose just one for my fall project. Sigh.

12. says

July was so dreadful in SW CT that some days I almost cried. Whoever invented air conditioning should be sainted. To offset the reality of heat and humidity, I concentrated on socks. Lusciously warm and toasty wool socks to wear all fall & winter long. I can hardly wait!

13. says

Ohhhh, that Harrisville Highland color is FANTASTIC. I get plenty of hot and humid weather where I live, but we’ve been having more rain and cooler days than usual so I can’t help but dream of cooler weather. I can almost smell Halloween. Great post.

14. Amy says

Oooooohhhhh- you are such a tease!! LOL I am salivating – the Harrisville sweater looks awesome, as does the Bijou Basin (I’m assuming that’s a sweater as well). Looking forward to FALL!!

Trackbacks