The last sun-splashed days of summer are slipping by here in New England, complete with leaves falling and chilly nights. I’m soaking up knitting on the patio as often as humanly possible, which makes for good knitting progress but pretty mediocre updates here. So I have a bunch of updates to share with you today! To make the inevitable list less boring, read through to the end to get a chance to win some yummy yarn!
The first updates are to our Maker plans.
We got lots of great feedback right off the bat about the new Maker plans — thank you so much for all of your honest and thoughtful comments, and your patience as we worked to make these plans better match what you want from CustomFit. Thanks to your feedback, the plans have now changed!
(From left to right: Screenshots of Maker Central, the recipes page, and the designs page.)
We definitely heard that people were interested both in:
- Allowing everyone to knit all of the designs we build into the site, and
- The Maker plans being a way to purchase patterns at a discount.
So, here are the new details for the maker plans:
- All Makers will still get exclusive access to Maker Central
- All Makers will still get free access to (all) AHD recipes
And the pattern details are now:
- At $4.99/month, Makers now get 8 patterns per year (placed automatically in your account on the original Maker Plus dates), plus one free sweater credit at sign-up
- At $7.99/month, those at the Maker Plus level will now enjoy unlimited patterns. (Please note that this is intended for personal and individual knitter use only.)
Everyone at any level (Basic, Maker, and Maker Plus) will have access both to the currently-featured designs and the full design archive. See the ever-growing list of sweaters that are built into the site on our designs page.
We hope you like the new Maker terms! We’re all really, really excited about CustomFit, the changes we have planned, and are definitely working very hard to make the site even better. Please also know that we’re also a tech startup in our first year, and CustomFit (at this point) is pretty far from being able to pay for itself. This means two things, really: First, thanks for your continued patience and support, and for inviting us along on your sweater journeys. We wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for you. Second, the best way you can help all of the fun CustomFit improvements happen is to tell others about the site, and become a Maker yourself if you’re so inclined.
Second on the update front: Where’s Amy going to be this fall?
If I’m distracted from updates in general, I’m downright lousy about letting you all know where I’ll be, and when! Here’s a quick list of where I’ll be over the next couple of months:
- September 12: Speaking at the Common Cod Fiber Guild
- September 20: I’ll be teaching at WEBS!
- September 25-28: The whole AHD team will be at our second annual make. wear. love. retreat.
- October 18-19: I’ll be attending the New York Sheep and Wool festival, affectionately known to knitters everywhere as “Rhinebeck”. No classes or anything, though I’m sure we’ll pull together meet-ups!
- October 24-26: I’ll be teaching at Vogue Knitting Live Chicago, and am super excited about that. There’s actually still space in a couple of my classes, so sign up soon if you’d like to see me there!
Third and finally, on the update front: My SSKAL sweater.
Despite plenty of knitting this summer, my poor SSKAL tank has languished!
In fact… even though I’m still really excited about the concept (relaxed fit, casual silk tank with a mesh front), I’m clearly running out of hot, summer days on which to implement this whole wardrobe plan. So I’ve been thinking:
I have the yarn, they’ll be quick to whip up in Stockinette, and will give me a piece I can wear further into the coming season. On the other hand, they change my original vision. So I thought I should ask you!
Please leave a comment letting me know which option you’re more excited to see by Thursday August 28. On Friday, August 29, we’ll draw a random number out of a hat and send someone a fall sweater sampler pack:
This is just a collection of one hank each of a number of different sweater yarns, to play around with. They range from fingering to bulky, include a variety of fibers and constructions, and should offer lots of fun sweater daydreams. Swatch them up and see what you think! Included are one hank each of: Rowan Felted Tweed Aran, Harrisville Designs WATERshed, Shibui linen, Blue Sky Alpacas Techno, Quince and Co Tern, and Green Mountain Spinnery Alpaca Elegance.
Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on what I should do with my sweater – and stay tuned later this week to see who won, and my first fall design release!